宅男集中营

Identity & School History - St Mary's Anglican Girls' School

Our Identity & School History


Identity & motto

Our crest includes three fleur de lis, a symbol of Christian faith. Our motto is Fideliter, which is a Latin word meaning faithfully.

A competition to decide St Mary鈥檚 colours, motto and crest was held in the first term of 1921. It was won by Isabel Greig, who was awarded ten shillings and sixpence. Isabel chose maroon and royal blue, with three white fleur de lis on a gold shield and a royal blue bar, and Fideliter as the School鈥檚 motto.

The editorial of the 1926 Almerta, St Mary鈥檚 annual Year Book, included the following poem about the School motto.


Our Motto is Fideliter

From ‘Faithfullness’ we never err;
Faithful to lend a helping hand,
And never sit while elders stand;
Faithful to home, and school, and work,
Faithful to serve, and not to shirk,
Faithful just to ‘Play the Game’,
And if we lose – smile all the same.

In 2021, Paul Jarman, an Australian multi颅 instrumentalist, composer and choir director, who has written more than 100 local and international school anthems, as well as 300-plus commissioned works, spent two weeks on campus sharing his musical expertise with our Junior and Senior School girls, all the while compiling research to write a piece honouring St Mary’s Centenary. The Centenary song, Fideliter is now performed at the start of each school year.

Our timeline


1920s

  • 宅男集中营 Foundation

    Our Founder

    The School Badge and Motto

    School Hymn and Prayer

    Miss Ethel Dannatt - Headmistress 1923 鈥 1937

    Almerta

    Old Girls' Association

    • 宅男集中营 Foundation

      The Church of England Girls' School, 宅男集中营 West Perth, was founded on 14 September 1921 at 40 Colin Street, West Perth, when Miss Gouly's Girls' Grammar School and Miss Hilfirty's Alexandra High School merged. Ninety-eight students were present on that first day.

    • Our Founder

      The Rector of 宅男集中营, West Perth, Reverend Charles Lawrence (Tom) Riley OBE, was 宅男集中营 first Principal and Chairman of the Board of Governors. In 1930, he was appointed Archdeacon of Northam and, in 1938, his exceptional qualities as a priest were recognised when he was appointed Bishop of Bendigo in Victoria.

    • The School Badge and Motto

      Ten-year-old student, Isabel Greig, won a competition to design the School badge - a shield with royal blue bar and three gold fleur-de-lis - and choose the School colours - chocolate and royal blue - and School motto - Fideliter, meaning faithfully.

    • School Hymn and Prayer

      The School hymn, Rise in the Strength of God, and School prayer have been used at 宅男集中营 since 1921. The School prayer is attributed to 宅男集中营 first Principal, Bishop CL Riley and the hymn was written by Ada Rundall Greenaway.

    • Miss Ethel Dannatt - Headmistress 1923 鈥 1937

      Miss Ethel H Dannatt was 宅男集中营 first Headmistress. She greatly influenced the early development of the School and is remembered in the naming of Dannatt Hall and the Dannatt Bursary.

    • Almerta

      宅男集中营 annual magazine, Almerta, was written by students and was published for the first time in 1925. The name Almerta was taken from an Aboriginal word meaning 'very good'. Sadly, Almerta was not produced in some years (1932, 1937) and ceased production altogether between 1939 and 1967, save for a one year year revival in 1954. Almerta was reintroduced in 1968 and has been printed annually ever since.

    • Old Girls' Association

      The Old Girls' League, now known as the Old Girls' Association, was formed to "keep alive the friendship formed in our school days and to retain the interest of past students in the school."

    宅男集中营 Foundation

    宅男集中营 Foundation

    The Church of England Girls' School, 宅男集中营 West Perth, was founded on 14 September 1921 at 40 Colin Street, West Perth, when Miss Gouly's Girls' Grammar School and Miss Hilfirty's Alexandra High School merged. Ninety-eight students were present on that first day.

    Our Founder

    Our Founder

    The Rector of 宅男集中营, West Perth, Reverend Charles Lawrence (Tom) Riley OBE, was 宅男集中营 first Principal and Chairman of the Board of Governors. In 1930, he was appointed Archdeacon of Northam and, in 1938, his exceptional qualities as a priest were recognised when he was appointed Bishop of Bendigo in Victoria.

    The School Badge and Motto

    The School Badge and Motto

    Ten-year-old student, Isabel Greig, won a competition to design the School badge - a shield with royal blue bar and three gold fleur-de-lis - and choose the School colours - chocolate and royal blue - and School motto - Fideliter, meaning faithfully.

    School Hymn and Prayer

    School Hymn and Prayer

    The School hymn, Rise in the Strength of God, and School prayer have been used at 宅男集中营 since 1921. The School prayer is attributed to 宅男集中营 first Principal, Bishop CL Riley and the hymn was written by Ada Rundall Greenaway.

    Miss Ethel Dannatt - Headmistress 1923 鈥 1937

    Miss Ethel Dannatt - Headmistress 1923 鈥 1937

    Miss Ethel H Dannatt was 宅男集中营 first Headmistress. She greatly influenced the early development of the School and is remembered in the naming of Dannatt Hall and the Dannatt Bursary.

    Almerta

    Almerta

    宅男集中营 annual magazine, Almerta, was written by students and was published for the first time in 1925. The name Almerta was taken from an Aboriginal word meaning 'very good'. Sadly, Almerta was not produced in some years (1932, 1937) and ceased production altogether between 1939 and 1967, save for a one year year revival in 1954. Almerta was reintroduced in 1968 and has been printed annually ever since.

    Old Girls' Association

    Old Girls' Association

    The Old Girls' League, now known as the Old Girls' Association, was formed to "keep alive the friendship formed in our school days and to retain the interest of past students in the school."

  • Maroon

    Junior School Expansion

    Miss Katherine Carter MBE - Headmistress 1938 鈥 1940

    The House System

    • Maroon

      The original school uniform was navy blue but, in 1934, the uniform was changed to maroon to ensure that 宅男集中营 girls were distinguishable from students at other schools.

    • Junior School Expansion

      An additional 宅男集中营 Junior School was established at St Margaret's Hall, Tyrell Street, Nedlands, with Miss Doris McQuie in charge. Boys and girls were enrolled from age three to eight, in anticipation that girls would progress to 宅男集中营 at Colin Street for further schooling.

    • Miss Katherine Carter MBE - Headmistress 1938 鈥 1940

      Miss Carter became 宅男集中营 second Principal in 1938. During her three years at 宅男集中营, she introduced the House system and typing and bookkeeping courses, as well as instigating a parents' association.

    • The House System

      The House System was introduced by Headmistress, Miss Carter, to "afford more competition not only in sports but also in school work." The House names were taken from Aboriginal words 鈥 Milpera meaning 'company', Killara meaning 'always there', and Thuruna meaning 'together'. The Houses were later renamed.

    Maroon

    Maroon

    The original school uniform was navy blue but, in 1934, the uniform was changed to maroon to ensure that 宅男集中营 girls were distinguishable from students at other schools.

    Junior School Expansion

    Junior School Expansion

    An additional 宅男集中营 Junior School was established at St Margaret's Hall, Tyrell Street, Nedlands, with Miss Doris McQuie in charge. Boys and girls were enrolled from age three to eight, in anticipation that girls would progress to 宅男集中营 at Colin Street for further schooling.

    Miss Katherine Carter MBE - Headmistress 1938 鈥 1940

    Miss Katherine Carter MBE - Headmistress 1938 鈥 1940

    Miss Carter became 宅男集中营 second Principal in 1938. During her three years at 宅男集中营, she introduced the House system and typing and bookkeeping courses, as well as instigating a parents' association.

    The House System

    The House System

    The House System was introduced by Headmistress, Miss Carter, to "afford more competition not only in sports but also in school work." The House names were taken from Aboriginal words 鈥 Milpera meaning 'company', Killara meaning 'always there', and Thuruna meaning 'together'. The Houses were later renamed.

  • Miss Beryl Hamilton - Headmistress 1940 鈥 1944

    Hackett, Riley and Wittenoom Houses

    Mrs Elizabeth Myles - Headmistress 1944 鈥 1956

    Boarding Facilities

    • Miss Beryl Hamilton - Headmistress 1940 鈥 1944

      Miss Hamilton, who was a Foundation teacher at 宅男集中营 commencing in 1921, was appointed as Headmistress in 1940. She led 宅男集中营 through many of the difficult war years before her untimely death in 1944. The Hamilton Wing in the 宅男集中营 boarding house is named in her honour.

    • Hackett, Riley and Wittenoom Houses

      The School Houses were renamed to acknowledge significant West Australians who had contributed to the establishment of the School: Sir John Winthrop Hackett, Bishop Charles Lawrence Riley and Mr Frederick (Frank) Francis Burdett Wittenoom.

    • Mrs Elizabeth Myles - Headmistress 1944 鈥 1956

      Mrs Myles became Headmistress in 1944, having been interim Headmistress in 1944 when Miss Hamilton became unwell. Mrs Myles steered the School through the post-war period into a period of growth and is remembered in the naming of the Elizabeth Myles Library and Myles Wing of the boarding house.

    • Boarding Facilities

      Some 宅男集中营 girls had boarded with Miss Tothill during the 1930s but it was after the war that Mrs Myles established more formalised boarding. After arranging boarding at 22 Kingsway, Nedlands, in the late 1940s Mrs Myles, on her own initiative, provided boarding facilities in the streets around the School. In 1950, the Board took over, and organised three boarding premises in houses fronting Colin Street, Emerald Terrace and Ord Street, West Perth.

    Miss Beryl Hamilton - Headmistress 1940 鈥 1944

    Miss Beryl Hamilton - Headmistress 1940 鈥 1944

    Miss Hamilton, who was a Foundation teacher at 宅男集中营 commencing in 1921, was appointed as Headmistress in 1940. She led 宅男集中营 through many of the difficult war years before her untimely death in 1944. The Hamilton Wing in the 宅男集中营 boarding house is named in her honour.

    Hackett, Riley and Wittenoom Houses

    Hackett, Riley and Wittenoom Houses

    The School Houses were renamed to acknowledge significant West Australians who had contributed to the establishment of the School: Sir John Winthrop Hackett, Bishop Charles Lawrence Riley and Mr Frederick (Frank) Francis Burdett Wittenoom.

    Mrs Elizabeth Myles - Headmistress 1944 鈥 1956

    Mrs Elizabeth Myles - Headmistress 1944 鈥 1956

    Mrs Myles became Headmistress in 1944, having been interim Headmistress in 1944 when Miss Hamilton became unwell. Mrs Myles steered the School through the post-war period into a period of growth and is remembered in the naming of the Elizabeth Myles Library and Myles Wing of the boarding house.

    Boarding Facilities

    Boarding Facilities

    Some 宅男集中营 girls had boarded with Miss Tothill during the 1930s but it was after the war that Mrs Myles established more formalised boarding. After arranging boarding at 22 Kingsway, Nedlands, in the late 1940s Mrs Myles, on her own initiative, provided boarding facilities in the streets around the School. In 1950, the Board took over, and organised three boarding premises in houses fronting Colin Street, Emerald Terrace and Ord Street, West Perth.

  • The Queen's Visit

    Mrs Theresa Macdonald MBE - Principal 1957 鈥 1965

    Tuck Shop

    Craigmore

    • The Queen's Visit

      宅男集中营 students lined the route for the Queen's visit to Perth on 29 March 1954.

    • Mrs Theresa Macdonald MBE - Principal 1957 鈥 1965

      Mrs Macdonald became Principal in 1957 and, during her time at the helm, the momentous decision was made to move 宅男集中营 from West Perth to Karrinyup. Mrs Macdonald is remembered in the naming of the Macdonald Library in the Junior School and Macdonald Wing of the boarding house.

    • Tuck Shop

      At the instigation of Mrs Macdonald, the first school tuck shop was opened, run by some of the mothers. They later began a uniform clothing exchange. Out of this group of school volunteers, the Ladies' Auxiliary (now the 宅男集中营 Auxiliary) was born.

    • Craigmore

      宅男集中营 leased 'Craigmore', an enormous house with extensive gardens on Kings Park Road, West Perth. The house and grounds provided Junior School classrooms, boarding accommodation, tennis courts and a gym.

    The Queen's Visit

    The Queen's Visit

    宅男集中营 students lined the route for the Queen's visit to Perth on 29 March 1954.

    Mrs Theresa Macdonald MBE - Principal 1957 鈥 1965

    Mrs Theresa Macdonald MBE - Principal 1957 鈥 1965

    Mrs Macdonald became Principal in 1957 and, during her time at the helm, the momentous decision was made to move 宅男集中营 from West Perth to Karrinyup. Mrs Macdonald is remembered in the naming of the Macdonald Library in the Junior School and Macdonald Wing of the boarding house.

    Tuck Shop

    Tuck Shop

    At the instigation of Mrs Macdonald, the first school tuck shop was opened, run by some of the mothers. They later began a uniform clothing exchange. Out of this group of school volunteers, the Ladies' Auxiliary (now the 宅男集中营 Auxiliary) was born.

    Craigmore

    Craigmore

    宅男集中营 leased 'Craigmore', an enormous house with extensive gardens on Kings Park Road, West Perth. The house and grounds provided Junior School classrooms, boarding accommodation, tennis courts and a gym.

  • A Diocesan School

    Fideliter

    A Place to Grow

    Foundation Stone Laid at Karrinyup

    Mrs Anne Symington - Headmistress 1966 鈥 1982

    A New Beginning at Karrinyup

    • A Diocesan School

      宅男集中营 became a diocesan school, rather than a parish school, managed by the 宅男集中营 Church West Perth Parish.

    • Fideliter

      The Fidelitas magazine was first published by the Parents' Society as a means of communication from the School to parents. Now known as Fideliter, the magazine is published bi-annually by the School.

    • A Place to Grow

      宅男集中营 launched a fundraising campaign, 'A Place to Grow', to move 宅男集中营 from cramped conditions in Colin Street, West Perth, to Karrinyup. 拢58,000 was raised in one year, enough to commence the ambitious building programme devised by architect, Miss Margaret Feilman.

    • Foundation Stone Laid at Karrinyup

      A foundation stone for the new school was laid at Karrinyup by The Honourable David Brand (Premier of Western Australia) and in the presence of the School's Founder, Bishop CL Riley and the Chair or the Board, Mr Peter Atkins.

    • Mrs Anne Symington - Headmistress 1966 鈥 1982

      Mrs Symington (Paton '33) was appointed Headmistress in 1966 and, under her leadership, 宅男集中营 operated in both West Perth and Karrinyup until 1970, when the whole school finally moved to Karrinyup. The boarding house, Anne Symington House, is named in her honour.

    • A New Beginning at Karrinyup

      Classes commenced at the Karrinyup campus but also continued at Colin Street, West Perth, with the school running two campuses and a system of buses and taxis to transport students. The Junior School did not move to Karrinyup until 1969 and was initially located in what is now part of the Senior School mathematics centre.

    A Diocesan School

    A Diocesan School

    宅男集中营 became a diocesan school, rather than a parish school, managed by the 宅男集中营 Church West Perth Parish.

    Fideliter

    Fideliter

    The Fidelitas magazine was first published by the Parents' Society as a means of communication from the School to parents. Now known as Fideliter, the magazine is published bi-annually by the School.

    A Place to Grow

    A Place to Grow

    宅男集中营 launched a fundraising campaign, 'A Place to Grow', to move 宅男集中营 from cramped conditions in Colin Street, West Perth, to Karrinyup. 拢58,000 was raised in one year, enough to commence the ambitious building programme devised by architect, Miss Margaret Feilman.

    Foundation Stone Laid at Karrinyup

    Foundation Stone Laid at Karrinyup

    A foundation stone for the new school was laid at Karrinyup by The Honourable David Brand (Premier of Western Australia) and in the presence of the School's Founder, Bishop CL Riley and the Chair or the Board, Mr Peter Atkins.

    Mrs Anne Symington - Headmistress 1966 鈥 1982

    Mrs Anne Symington - Headmistress 1966 鈥 1982

    Mrs Symington (Paton '33) was appointed Headmistress in 1966 and, under her leadership, 宅男集中营 operated in both West Perth and Karrinyup until 1970, when the whole school finally moved to Karrinyup. The boarding house, Anne Symington House, is named in her honour.

    A New Beginning at Karrinyup

    A New Beginning at Karrinyup

    Classes commenced at the Karrinyup campus but also continued at Colin Street, West Perth, with the school running two campuses and a system of buses and taxis to transport students. The Junior School did not move to Karrinyup until 1969 and was initially located in what is now part of the Senior School mathematics centre.

  • A New Home for Boarders

    Wardle House

    宅男集中营 Golden Jubilee

    宅男集中营 Win Interschool Athletics

    A Library at Last

    Dannatt Hall

    • A New Home for Boarders

      The new three-storey boarding house at Karrinyup was completed and 240 boarders moved in. The names of the boarding houses in West Perth were given to the four wings - Dannatt, Hamilton, Mitchell and Tothill - with the two other wings named Myles and Macdonald. The boarding house was named Anne Symington House in 1986.

    • Wardle House

      Due to the increasing number of students at 宅男集中营, another House was established. It was named Wardle after past parent and generous benefactor, Sir Thomas Wardle.

    • 宅男集中营 Golden Jubilee

      The School's 50th birthday was a day of festivities including a whole-school picnic lunch and the cutting of a magnificent cake made by students. A Jubilee Thanksgiving Evensong at St George's Cathedral was attended by over 1000 students, staff and friends of 宅男集中营.

    • 宅男集中营 Win Interschool Athletics

      宅男集中营 won the Interschool Athletics Carnival. It was 46 years before our next win!

    • A Library at Last

      宅男集中营 first purpose-built library, comprising an audio-visual room, a seminar room and a mothers' workroom, was opened by the Federal Minister for Education, Mr Kim Beazley Snr.

    • Dannatt Hall

      A new multi-purpose hall was opened and named Dannatt Hall, after 宅男集中营 first Headmistress, Miss Ethel Dannatt.

    A New Home for Boarders

    A New Home for Boarders

    The new three-storey boarding house at Karrinyup was completed and 240 boarders moved in. The names of the boarding houses in West Perth were given to the four wings - Dannatt, Hamilton, Mitchell and Tothill - with the two other wings named Myles and Macdonald. The boarding house was named Anne Symington House in 1986.

    Wardle House

    Wardle House

    Due to the increasing number of students at 宅男集中营, another House was established. It was named Wardle after past parent and generous benefactor, Sir Thomas Wardle.

    宅男集中营 Golden Jubilee

    宅男集中营 Golden Jubilee

    The School's 50th birthday was a day of festivities including a whole-school picnic lunch and the cutting of a magnificent cake made by students. A Jubilee Thanksgiving Evensong at St George's Cathedral was attended by over 1000 students, staff and friends of 宅男集中营.

    宅男集中营 Win Interschool Athletics

    宅男集中营 Win Interschool Athletics

    宅男集中营 won the Interschool Athletics Carnival. It was 46 years before our next win!

    A Library at Last

    A Library at Last

    宅男集中营 first purpose-built library, comprising an audio-visual room, a seminar room and a mothers' workroom, was opened by the Federal Minister for Education, Mr Kim Beazley Snr.

    Dannatt Hall

    Dannatt Hall

    A new multi-purpose hall was opened and named Dannatt Hall, after 宅男集中营 first Headmistress, Miss Ethel Dannatt.

  • Craig House and Lefroy House

    A New Name for our School

    Chapel of St Mary

    Mrs Audrey Jackson AM - Principal 1983 鈥 1997

    Interschool Swimming Champions

    A New Creative Space

    宅男集中营 Foundation

    • Craig House and Lefroy House

      Two new Houses, Craig and Lefroy, were established. Craig was named after Mrs Frances Eileen Craig MBE, who was a member of the 宅男集中营 Board of Governors 1954 to 1958, and Lefroy was named after the Lefroy family, particularly Mr John Henry Maxwell (known as Maxwell) Lefroy, who was a foundation member of the 宅男集中营 Board of Governors and Sir Anthony Langlois Bruce Lefroy.

    • A New Name for our School

      宅男集中营 Church of England Girls' School was renamed 宅男集中营, in keeping with the renaming in Australia of the Church of England to the Anglican Church of Australia.

    • Chapel of St Mary

      The Chapel of St Mary was dedicated and consecrated by the Archbishop of Perth, The Most Reverend Dr Peter F. Carnley. The building design incorporated features from the original 宅男集中营 Church, West Perth.

    • Mrs Audrey Jackson AM - Principal 1983 鈥 1997

      Mrs Jackson was appointed Principal and continued the development of many facilities around the School, including a new Junior School which opened in 1993. The Audrey Jackson Learning Technologies Centre was named in her honour in 1999.

    • Interschool Swimming Champions

      宅男集中营 won the Interschool Swimming Carnival for the first time and went on to dominate, winning the title for the next six consecutive years.

    • A New Creative Space

      A new and spacious Art, Music and Drama Centre was opened and the first day-long Interhouse Music/Art Festival was held.

    • 宅男集中营 Foundation

      The 宅男集中营 Foundation was established, with the motto 'from strength to strength', to secure the long-term future of the School and support its capital development. Over $1million was raised within the year.

    Craig House and Lefroy House

    Craig House and Lefroy House

    Two new Houses, Craig and Lefroy, were established. Craig was named after Mrs Frances Eileen Craig MBE, who was a member of the 宅男集中营 Board of Governors 1954 to 1958, and Lefroy was named after the Lefroy family, particularly Mr John Henry Maxwell (known as Maxwell) Lefroy, who was a foundation member of the 宅男集中营 Board of Governors and Sir Anthony Langlois Bruce Lefroy.

    A New Name for our School

    A New Name for our School

    宅男集中营 Church of England Girls' School was renamed 宅男集中营, in keeping with the renaming in Australia of the Church of England to the Anglican Church of Australia.

    Chapel of St Mary

    Chapel of St Mary

    The Chapel of St Mary was dedicated and consecrated by the Archbishop of Perth, The Most Reverend Dr Peter F. Carnley. The building design incorporated features from the original 宅男集中营 Church, West Perth.

    Mrs Audrey Jackson AM - Principal 1983 鈥 1997

    Mrs Audrey Jackson AM - Principal 1983 鈥 1997

    Mrs Jackson was appointed Principal and continued the development of many facilities around the School, including a new Junior School which opened in 1993. The Audrey Jackson Learning Technologies Centre was named in her honour in 1999.

    Interschool Swimming Champions

    Interschool Swimming Champions

    宅男集中营 won the Interschool Swimming Carnival for the first time and went on to dominate, winning the title for the next six consecutive years.

    A New Creative Space

    A New Creative Space

    A new and spacious Art, Music and Drama Centre was opened and the first day-long Interhouse Music/Art Festival was held.

    宅男集中营 Foundation

    宅男集中营 Foundation

    The 宅男集中营 Foundation was established, with the motto 'from strength to strength', to secure the long-term future of the School and support its capital development. Over $1million was raised within the year.

  • Marine Science

    New Junior School Building

    Reverend Joyce Polson OAM Retires

    Audrey Jackson Learning Technologies Centre

    Mrs Lynne Thomson - Principal 1997 鈥 2018

    International Exchange Experience

    • Marine Science

      宅男集中营 was one of the first schools in Australia to introduce Marine Science into the School curriculum and is still one of only a small number of Australian schools to offer the Master Diving programme.

    • New Junior School Building

      A separate, specifically designed Junior School building was opened.

    • Reverend Joyce Polson OAM Retires

      After serving the 宅男集中营 community since 1967, the much-loved Reverend Joyce retired from her role as Chaplain. She re-joined 宅男集中营 in 2010 part-time to provide support to the Chaplain and students. We farewelled Reverend Joyce (for a second time) in 2019.

    • Audrey Jackson Learning Technologies Centre

      Computers had first arrived at 宅男集中营 in 1983 and, in 1996, a Learning Technologies Centre was opened, thanks to funds raised through the 75th Birthday Fundraising Appeal. In 1999, the Centre was named after Mrs Audrey Jackson (Principal 1983鈥1997).

    • Mrs Lynne Thomson - Principal 1997 鈥 2018

      Mrs Thomson became the ninth, and longest-serving, Principal of our School. She presided over the refurbishment and renovation of Anne Symington House and the opening of the Lady Wardle Performing Arts Centre and 宅男集中营 at Metricup. She is remembered by the Lynne Thomson Overseas Study Scholarship.

    • International Exchange Experience

      The Year 10 Exchange Programme was introduced, with the first student attending Westover School in the United States in the following year.

    Marine Science

    Marine Science

    宅男集中营 was one of the first schools in Australia to introduce Marine Science into the School curriculum and is still one of only a small number of Australian schools to offer the Master Diving programme.

    New Junior School Building

    New Junior School Building

    A separate, specifically designed Junior School building was opened.

    Reverend Joyce Polson OAM Retires

    Reverend Joyce Polson OAM Retires

    After serving the 宅男集中营 community since 1967, the much-loved Reverend Joyce retired from her role as Chaplain. She re-joined 宅男集中营 in 2010 part-time to provide support to the Chaplain and students. We farewelled Reverend Joyce (for a second time) in 2019.

    Audrey Jackson Learning Technologies Centre

    Audrey Jackson Learning Technologies Centre

    Computers had first arrived at 宅男集中营 in 1983 and, in 1996, a Learning Technologies Centre was opened, thanks to funds raised through the 75th Birthday Fundraising Appeal. In 1999, the Centre was named after Mrs Audrey Jackson (Principal 1983鈥1997).

    Mrs Lynne Thomson - Principal 1997 鈥 2018

    Mrs Lynne Thomson - Principal 1997 鈥 2018

    Mrs Thomson became the ninth, and longest-serving, Principal of our School. She presided over the refurbishment and renovation of Anne Symington House and the opening of the Lady Wardle Performing Arts Centre and 宅男集中营 at Metricup. She is remembered by the Lynne Thomson Overseas Study Scholarship.

    International Exchange Experience

    International Exchange Experience

    The Year 10 Exchange Programme was introduced, with the first student attending Westover School in the United States in the following year.

  • Lady Wardle Performing Arts Centre

    The Belvedere

    Junior School Time Capsule

    Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance

    Faith

    宅男集中营 at Metricup

    • Lady Wardle Performing Arts Centre

      The Lady Wardle Performing Arts Centre, named after Lady Wardle, wife of Sir Thomas Wardle and mother of Diane Porter (Wardle '60) was opened. Seating over 500 guests, the Centre plays host to productions, performances, assemblies and lectures.

    • The Belvedere

      The Belvedere was once a striking feature on the roof of Craigmore, a grand house in West Perth which 宅男集中营 had leased as a Junior School and boarding house between 1959 and 1965. Craigmore was demolished in 1967, but the Belvedere found its way to a family home in Peppermint Grove. It was donated to 宅男集中营 in 2001.

    • Junior School Time Capsule

      The Junior School buried a time capsule on 宅男集中营 80th birthday and it will be re-opened on the 14 September 2021 鈥 our 100th birthday!

    • Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance

      The Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance, named after benefactor Lady Treatt (Frankie Wilson '32, Head Girl), was opened.

    • Faith

      The Old Girls' Association presented the School with a sculpture to celebrate the School's 85th birthday. Depicting a young girl who is ready to leave school and find her place in the world, the statue stands on stone from the font at 宅男集中营 Church, West Perth.

    • 宅男集中营 at Metricup

      宅男集中营 at Metricup: The Lady Treatt Centre for Learning and Leadership was built with the support of the School community and the 宅男集中营 Foundation. This outdoor education facility is named after Lady Treatt (Frankie Wilson '32, Head Girl) and is the largest of its kind for an all-girls school in Western Australia.

    Lady Wardle Performing Arts Centre

    Lady Wardle Performing Arts Centre

    The Lady Wardle Performing Arts Centre, named after Lady Wardle, wife of Sir Thomas Wardle and mother of Diane Porter (Wardle '60) was opened. Seating over 500 guests, the Centre plays host to productions, performances, assemblies and lectures.

    The Belvedere

    The Belvedere

    The Belvedere was once a striking feature on the roof of Craigmore, a grand house in West Perth which 宅男集中营 had leased as a Junior School and boarding house between 1959 and 1965. Craigmore was demolished in 1967, but the Belvedere found its way to a family home in Peppermint Grove. It was donated to 宅男集中营 in 2001.

    Junior School Time Capsule

    Junior School Time Capsule

    The Junior School buried a time capsule on 宅男集中营 80th birthday and it will be re-opened on the 14 September 2021 鈥 our 100th birthday!

    Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance

    Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance

    The Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance, named after benefactor Lady Treatt (Frankie Wilson '32, Head Girl), was opened.

    Faith

    Faith

    The Old Girls' Association presented the School with a sculpture to celebrate the School's 85th birthday. Depicting a young girl who is ready to leave school and find her place in the world, the statue stands on stone from the font at 宅男集中营 Church, West Perth.

    宅男集中营 at Metricup

    宅男集中营 at Metricup

    宅男集中营 at Metricup: The Lady Treatt Centre for Learning and Leadership was built with the support of the School community and the 宅男集中营 Foundation. This outdoor education facility is named after Lady Treatt (Frankie Wilson '32, Head Girl) and is the largest of its kind for an all-girls school in Western Australia.

  • Elizabeth Myles Library

    Refurbishment of the Sir Thomas Wardle Swimming Pool Complex

    Little Learners

    Marlene Carter Heritage Centre

    The Polson Room

    A New Playground

    Mrs Judith Tudball (Principal 2019 鈥 Present)

    Interschool Athletics Champions

    • Elizabeth Myles Library

      A new state-of-the-art library was opened and named after former Headmistress, Mrs Elizabeth Myles (1944鈥1956).

    • Refurbishment of the Sir Thomas Wardle Swimming Pool Complex

      The Sir Thomas Wardle Swimming Pool Complex was remodelled and solar heating was installed in the Olympic-sized swimming pool. The complex was originally built in 1970 through a donation from Sir Thomas Wardle.

    • Little Learners

      The Peter Arney Centre for Early Learning was rebuilt and renovated. It is named after Mr Peter Arney, a member of the Board of Governors from 1962鈥1996.

    • Marlene Carter Heritage Centre

      The Marlene Carter Heritage Centre was opened and dedicated by The Right Reverend Kate Wilmot, Bishop of Perth. It was named after Miss Marlene Carter ('63), former President of the Old Girls' Association and Chair of the 宅男集中营 Foundation from 2018.

    • The Polson Room

      The Polson Room was opened and named after Reverend Joyce Polson (Deaconess). It is a multi-purpose function room that caters for school events and student exams and meetings, and has a beautiful aspect out to the playing fields.

    • A New Playground

      The Junior School opened a new adventure playground, thanks to funds raised at at the 95th Birthday Fair and support from the Foundation. It is named after Jane Gillon, a past Vice-Chair of the Board, past President of the Old Girls' Association, Honorary Life Member of the Parents Society and Honorary Member for Life of the School.

    • Mrs Judith Tudball (Principal 2019 鈥 Present)

      Mrs Tudball joined 宅男集中营 as our tenth Principal and, in her first year, formally launched the 宅男集中营 Masterplan 2019鈥2030; an exciting development of our School campus ensuring first-class facilities for our students into the 21st century.

    • Interschool Athletics Champions

      宅男集中营 won the Interschool Athletics Carnivals for both Senior and Junior Schools in the same year. It was the first Senior School athletics win since 1972!

    Elizabeth Myles Library

    Elizabeth Myles Library

    A new state-of-the-art library was opened and named after former Headmistress, Mrs Elizabeth Myles (1944鈥1956).

    Refurbishment of the Sir Thomas Wardle Swimming Pool Complex

    Refurbishment of the Sir Thomas Wardle Swimming Pool Complex

    The Sir Thomas Wardle Swimming Pool Complex was remodelled and solar heating was installed in the Olympic-sized swimming pool. The complex was originally built in 1970 through a donation from Sir Thomas Wardle.

    Little Learners

    Little Learners

    The Peter Arney Centre for Early Learning was rebuilt and renovated. It is named after Mr Peter Arney, a member of the Board of Governors from 1962鈥1996.

    Marlene Carter Heritage Centre

    Marlene Carter Heritage Centre

    The Marlene Carter Heritage Centre was opened and dedicated by The Right Reverend Kate Wilmot, Bishop of Perth. It was named after Miss Marlene Carter ('63), former President of the Old Girls' Association and Chair of the 宅男集中营 Foundation from 2018.

    The Polson Room

    The Polson Room

    The Polson Room was opened and named after Reverend Joyce Polson (Deaconess). It is a multi-purpose function room that caters for school events and student exams and meetings, and has a beautiful aspect out to the playing fields.

    A New Playground

    A New Playground

    The Junior School opened a new adventure playground, thanks to funds raised at at the 95th Birthday Fair and support from the Foundation. It is named after Jane Gillon, a past Vice-Chair of the Board, past President of the Old Girls' Association, Honorary Life Member of the Parents Society and Honorary Member for Life of the School.

    Mrs Judith Tudball (Principal 2019 鈥 Present)

    Mrs Judith Tudball (Principal 2019 鈥 Present)

    Mrs Tudball joined 宅男集中营 as our tenth Principal and, in her first year, formally launched the 宅男集中营 Masterplan 2019鈥2030; an exciting development of our School campus ensuring first-class facilities for our students into the 21st century.

    Interschool Athletics Champions

    Interschool Athletics Champions

    宅男集中营 won the Interschool Athletics Carnivals for both Senior and Junior Schools in the same year. It was the first Senior School athletics win since 1972!

  • Extension to the Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance

    宅男集中营 Turns 100!

    • Extension to the Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance

      2020 saw the completion of the extension to the Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance, with spacious new learning and rehearsal rooms, additional practice rooms and a beautiful first-floor dance studio overlooking Chapel Valley.

    • 宅男集中营 Turns 100!

      On the 14 September 2021, 宅男集中营 celebrates its 100th birthday. Thanks to the dedication of so many members of our School community over the last century, 宅男集中营 has continued to grow and develop into a leader in the education of girls.

    Extension to the Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance

    Extension to the Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance

    2020 saw the completion of the extension to the Lady Treatt Centre for Music and Dance, with spacious new learning and rehearsal rooms, additional practice rooms and a beautiful first-floor dance studio overlooking Chapel Valley.

    宅男集中营 Turns 100!

    宅男集中营 Turns 100!

    On the 14 September 2021, 宅男集中营 celebrates its 100th birthday. Thanks to the dedication of so many members of our School community over the last century, 宅男集中营 has continued to grow and develop into a leader in the education of girls.

The House system


The House system started at St Mary鈥檚 in 1938 with the formation of three Houses. Later Houses were added due to the expansion of the School from Colin St, West Perth to Elliott Road, Karrinyup, and the increase in student numbers. All the Houses were named after prominent Western Australian citizens who had been significant benefactors to the school, had shown leadership and service in the community, and were strong supporters of the Anglican Church.

Riley House

Riley House was named in 1940 after Bishop Charles Lawrence Riley CBE MA LLB DTh Cambridge 1888 to 1971. Bishop Riley was the founder of the School, being the St Mary鈥檚 Church West Perth parish priest who amalgamated the Girls鈥 Grammar School and the Alexandra High School to form St Mary鈥檚 Church of England Girls鈥 School as a parish school in the St Mary鈥檚 Church parish hall. He was the first Principal 1921 to 1923, and Chairman of the Board of Governors 1921 to 1930. He also taught Latin and Divinity. He was later President of the fundraising committee for St Mary鈥檚 move from West Perth to Karrinyup. The Riley House colour is dark blue.

Hackett House

Hackett House was named in 1940 after Sir John Winthrop Hackett KCMG BA MA Trinity 1848 to 1916. St Mary鈥檚 received an annual bequest of assistance from the estate of Sir John Hackett, which helped considerably with the early development of the school. The recognition of Sir John Hackett鈥檚 substantial contribution to the educational and cultural life of the State, most importantly helping to establish the University of Western Australia, the Battye Library and the Western Australian Museum, heavily influenced the decision to name a House after him. The Hackett House colour is yellow.

Wittenoom House

Wittenoom House was named in 1940 after Frederick (Frank) Francis Burdett Wittenoom 1855 to 1939. Frank Wittenoom was a pastoralist, traveller and adventurer 鈥 and also an influential member of the St Mary鈥檚 Church West Perth parish. He gave considerably to the early building needs of the school in West Perth and was largely responsible for the construction of classrooms over the summer of 1921 to 1922 and hall alterations. Wittenoom Hall, which housed our first Kindergarten, was named after him. The Wittenoom House colour is red.

Wardle House

Wardle House was named in 1970 after Sir Thomas Edward Wardle 1912 to 1997. Sir Thomas was the founder and owner of the 鈥楾om the Cheap鈥 grocery stores, which became a large and profitable grocery and retail chain. He was Lord Mayor of Perth from 1967 to 1972 and was a prominent member of many boards and fundraising charities. His daughter, Diane, attended St Mary鈥檚. Sir Thomas and his wife, Lady Wardle, were significant benefactors to the capital development of St Mary鈥檚 Karrinyup campus for many years. The Wardle House colour is green.

Craig House

Craig House was named in 1980 after Mrs Frances Eileen Craig MBE 1896 to 1974. Mrs Craig was an important member of St Mary鈥檚 Board of Governors from 1954 to 1958. She worked to renovate and improve the conditions of the boarding houses used by St Mary鈥檚 in West Perth. Her prominence and influence on many community boards and organisations, including the Country Women鈥檚 Association and the Save the Children Fund, helped Mrs Craig bring about great change and awareness of the needs of women and children in the community. Her husband, Leslie Craig, was a prominent farmer, businessman and politician, and was instrumental in relocating Hale School from West Perth to Wembley Downs. The Craig House colour is purple.

Lefroy House

Lefroy House was named in 1980 after the pioneering Lefroy family of Western Australia. St Mary鈥檚 has a strong association with many members of the family but celebrates two in particular: Mr John Henry Maxwell (Maxwell) Lefroy 1865 to 1936, and Sir Anthony Langlois Bruce Lefroy 1881 to 1958. Maxwell Lefroy was a great friend to the Rev鈥檇 C.L. Riley, being the Rector鈥檚 Warden of St Mary鈥檚 Church West Perth. He was also a member of the Board of Governors from 1921 to 1929. Sir Anthony Lefroy owned expanses of land in the Murchison and was a member of many government and community organisations, including The Red Cross Society and University of Western Australia. He was also a dedicated member of the St Mary鈥檚 Church West Perth parish. The Lefroy House colour is light blue.

Archives


Since 1921, the St Mary’s community have dedicated themselves to collecting and preserving the story and heritage of St Mary’s and its students.

Today, there is a vital and growing private archives collection housed in the Marlene Carter Heritage Centre and displayed throughout the School. The incorporation of the Collection into the daily life and curriculum of the School is regarded as essential in supporting the heritage of St Mary’s, and reinforcing the ideals and beliefs established by our founding community.


Engaging with our heritage

If you would like to visit the Marlene Carter Heritage Centre, take a heritage tour, or make a donation to our archives, please make an appointment with our School Archivist via (08) 9341 9113 or archives@stmarys.wa.edu.au